Chincoteague, VA- During this time of holiday gift giving, the Chincoteague Chamber of Commerce reminds us to “Shop Small” and explore the fabulous art galleries, specialty shops, book stores, and other quaint and unique businesses on Chincoteague Island. Saturday, November 24 is observed nationally as Small Business Saturday to celebrate the diversity and heritage of small businesses and to encourage us all to shop in our hometown, keeping tax dollars in the community to further stimulate the local economy. Many opportunities exist for shopping and enjoying nature in Chincoteague and the surrounding community. Here is a sampling:
- Chincoteague Island Family YMCA Charity 5K Turkey Trot – Nov. 22 at 8:30 a.m.
- Waterfowl Weekend at Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge – Nov. 22-25
- ESVA Artisans Guild 15th Annual Holiday Tour – Nov. 23-24 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. – buy directly from local artisans in their own studios
- Chincoteague High School After Prom Holiday Craft Show – Nov. 24 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Chincoteague Combined School, 4586 Main Street – purchase locally made crafts while supporting the Chincoteague High School After Prom Party Committee efforts to keep our young people safe on Prom night.
- Chincoteague Cultural Alliance 5th Annual Holly Day Market & Wildlife Art Gallery – Nov. 24 from 9a.m. to 3p.m. at 6309 Church Street – locally made arts, decoys, jewelry and much more
- Museum of Chincoteague Island Holiday Open House – Nov. 24 & 25 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. – hot cider, cookies, featured artists, and more. Also happening Nov. 30 – Dec. 2.
- Historic Main Street Merchants Holiday Tree Lighting in Robert Reed Park – Nov. 24 at 5 p.m.
In between shopping and wildlife viewing, enjoy delicious Chincoteague “Salt” Oysters in one of our remarkable restaurants to celebrate November as Virginia Oyster Month. Begin your Holidays the traditional Chincoteague way! Plan your visit at www.chincoteaguechamber.com for details on all activities and events, lodging, dining, and shopping.