The Virginia Department of Elections announces two upcoming deadlines for voters wishing to participate in the November 5, 2019 General Election via an absentee ballot.
· Voters wishing to mail their absentee ballot have until 5 p.m. on Tuesday, October 29 to request a ballot through their local voter registration office or the Virginia Department of Elections Citizen Portal at www.elections.virginia.gov/
· Absentee voters have until November 2 to visit their local voter registration office and vote in-person absentee. The local offices will be open Saturday, October 26, and Saturday, November 2, for individuals wishing to cast their absentee ballots in person.
· Voters also may visit their local voter registration office during regular business hours through November 2 to vote absentee in-person.
· Voters can find information about their local voter registration office online at www.elections.virginia.gov/vro
· All absentee ballots must be received by 7 p.m. on Election Day, November 5, in order to be counted.
Absentee ballot application forms can be found online at www.elections.virginia.gov/
The Department of Elections encourages voters who are requesting absentee ballots sent by mail to apply well ahead of the October 29 deadline, as the U.S. Postal Service advises that First Class delivery takes two to five days. Waiting until the deadline may not provide sufficient time for voters to receive their ballots and send them back on time.
Voters who wish to cast an absentee ballot in person must present acceptable photo identification. Voters who do not have an acceptable form of ID still may cast their ballot after completing the Virginia Voter Photo Identification Card Application and receiving a Temporary Identification Document from their voter registration office. More information on acceptable IDs is available online at www.elections.virginia.gov/
Voters can find more information about the November 5 General Election at www.vote.virginia.gov.